⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 14:21:23 +0100

Dear Christiane,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will proceed with including the mass
fraction and mole fraction names in the next update of the standard
name table. I think also atmosphere_mass_of_air_per_unit_area can go
into the table. The full list of names to be included in the update
will be published on the mailing list shortly.

In the dry deposition names I notice the first one is given as just
"tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_all_nitrogen_oxides_expressed_as_nitrogen"
- I assume that you meant to include "_due_to_dry_deposition"
at the end and that this is just a typographic error. Correct? The
other dry/wet deposition names look fine now, as do the "chemical
reaction" names.

In the "emissions" category most of the names look fine, but I have
a question about the following:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_secondary_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_production
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_primary_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_production
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_hexachlorobiphenyl_due_to_re_emission
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alpha_hexachlorocyclohexane_due_to_re_emission
Looking back at the exchange of postings that took place between
yourself and Jonathan during January, my understanding is that:
(1) production = chemical_net_production + emission
(2) emission does not include re-emission

I note that Jonathan had some misgivings regarding these particular
terms because he thought they might lead to confusion. I don't think
this issue has been fully resolved as yet. I agree that there is
potential for confusion, particularly with regards to "production",
although I'm not sure that Jonathan's suggested alternative of
"addition" seems quite right either. In the absence of a
satisfactory single word to describe the concept I suppose we could
always opt for the longer but self-explanatory "due_to_chemical_net_production_and_emission". What are your
thoughts about this?

Regarding "re-emission", I think that the term is fine and the
question is really about the definition. We have already agreed that
"emission" is a general term that includes sources located anywhere
in the atmosphere, such as aircraft, and sources located at the
earth's surface. Given that it is a general term, should it not
also include re-emission? Personally, I feel that the deciding factor
in this question should be how the terms are most commonly used within
the atmospheric chemistry community - is it generally understood that
emission and re-emission are entirely separate quantities?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.