⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names proposal for CEOP-II model ouput

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:09:09 +0100

Dear Dr Hirai

> In general, there are two kinds of definitions for the volume ratio of
> water in soil.
> * the volume ratio of soil water in soil (mass), which includes soil
> particles and soil pore. This value must be from 0 to soil porosity (about
> 0.4).
> * the volume ratio of soil water in soil pore. This value must be from 0
> to 1.

OK, thanks for explaining. In that case I would suggest
volume_fraction_of_condensed_water_in_soil_pores
That is, I would propose "pores" instead of "pore".

For consistency, I would propose we rename (by aliasing) the following
volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil
volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_critical_point
volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_field_capacity
volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_wilting_point
to have condensed_water instead of water. That seems more accurate, doesn't it.
It's not very meaningful to speak of a volume fraction if you include water
vapour in it.

Cheers

Jonathan Gregory