⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Inconsistent use of flag_values attribute.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:19:38 +0100

Dear John

I agree with you that the standard is inconsistent. CF 3.5 says "The
flag_values attribute is the same type as the variable to which it is
attached" i.e. the data variable. That sounds right to me, because in that
case the values of flag_values will exactly match values to be found in the
data variable. They would be bytes in your case. Do you agree that is right?

If so, Appendix A is wrong in saying that flag_values is a string. It could
be either string or numeric, depending on the data variable. The CF checker
is probably enforcing Appendix A, but we should have an explicit statement
in the conformance document about the treatment of flag_values.

best wishes

Jonathan