⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:22:26 +0100

Hi John,

'Concern' is not the word I would use, but it is certainly something that should not be ignored. I need an operational system now (NDG and SeaDataNet have delivery deadlines in 6/12 months respectively) and can make something work based on URLs. However, whilst doing this I am keeping a very close eye on the activities of Simon Cox/Rob Atkinson in MOTIIVE and the OGC arena developing feature type catalogue registry technology in which URNs are the currency. So, when I make the technology transition I plan to make the transition in the nature of my URIs.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> John Graybeal <graybeal at mbari.org> 3/28/2007 1:07 am >>>
It appears no one else has asked this, so I will -- Does the fact that OGC explicitly requires non-resolvable URIs to be URNs concern anyone in this discussion?

Thanks to Philip Bentley for so gracefully referencing the document that mentions this (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/bp) -- I assume it is binding, because it says it is, and uses the word 'shall' a lot, besides.

John