⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Luis Bermudez <bermudez>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:48:52 -0700

John,

> I support most of Luis' point re URLs. If we're having this
> discussion here, I urge we remove the '#' mechanism, which is
> broken from a service provider standpoint. (Because the server
> never sees the '#air_density' part of the URL, so many potential
> features are awkward or no longer possible.) Replacing the #
> with / is one alternative that seems functional.

Regarding the "#", I don't see that is broken from a service provider
standpoint. Could you please detail the awkward or no possible
features you re thinking about.

I suggest using "#" as a fragment identifier separator because:
- It is easy resolvable in an HTML page, since it will refer to the
anchor, an those we can easily display information about a resource.
- If I publish and ontology and give the URL to a semantic web tool
it will understand the "#" as a fragment separator. And I can publish
the ontology in the base URI (String before the "#"). The way you are
suggesting will confuse semantic web tools.

For your entertaining see also wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_identifier

Best,

Luis