⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:59:13 +0000

Dear Roy

> I would much prefer semantically neutral keys to be assigned rather than using the text of the standard name in the URI. Standard Name texts have been revised in the past and there will probably be future changes, which destroys the permanence of the URI at a stroke.

I wonder what "semantically neutral" means? If it's something arbitrary like
a code, that's not self-explanatory. In fact I believe standard names *are*
permanent. Because they exist in data which has been archived, we cannot
abolish them. When we have revised our naming scheme, we create aliases for
old names to match them to new names, so the old ones remain valid.

Cheers

Jonathan