⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:47:36 +0000

Dear All,

I would much prefer semantically neutral keys to be assigned rather than using the text of the standard name in the URI. Standard Name texts have been revised in the past and there will probably be future changes, which destroys the permanence of the URI at a stroke.

I have arbitrarily assigned keys to the copy of the Standard Names served out by the NDG Vocabulary Server. These could be adopted or I could come into line with whatever CF decides upon. Anything in our vocab server may be referenced by the URL syntax:

http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/list_id/version_number/key

At present this URL does nothing, but within a couple of months clients will be put in place to return and appropriate XML document with style sheet for browser rendering.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Luis Bermudez <bermudez at mbari.org> 03/21/07 11:09 PM >>>
Mike..

Thanks for opening this discussion. To make this namespace official
it should be register in IANA: http://www.iana.org/.
Also, it's OK to use ".". It will be a compliant URI.
Once we settle, I will make changes to the ontology that MMI is
making available via SEMOR (http://marinemetadata.org:9600/semor/.)

However, there is a current discussion about using URLs vs. URNs. I
think at MMI we are moving towards using as much as possible URLs,
even if having service like the previous mentioned.

So maybe this is better:

http://www.cfconventions.org/standard_name#air_density
http://www.cfconventions.org/canonical_units#kg.m-3

And, it can resolve nicely in any web browser -:)

-Luis
Luis Bermudez Ph.D.
MMI Technical Lead - http://marinemetadata.org
bermudez at mbari.org Tel: (831) 775-1929
MBARI 7700 Sandholdt Road, Moss Landing CA 95039-9644, USA