⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:33:28 +0100

Dear Alison and CF community,

It has been quite a while that the discussion on aerosols and chemistry
for HTAP is 'sleeping'. I am sorry for that, but the sheer magnitude of
names proposed, and the possilibity that the names chosen might not be
the best ones, seem to frighten me a little bit...

After the discussion I had in January with colleagues from the
observational community, I have revised the chemistry-standard names,
looked at the CAS numbers, the NARSO and NASA Ames formats that are
mainly used by the observationalists. In conclusion I think that the
names constructed for HTAP so far are the best we can do for the moment.
If CAS numbers are neccessary, they could probably be added later in the
long-name attribute.

Therefore, I would like to ask for official approval of the
standard_names that can be found at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Accepted_names_for_TF_HTAP

The new version of this table since contains the following changes:

To distinguish between primary and secondary particulate organic carbon
and the sum of these two, I have defined 3 variables
primary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
secondary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
with the respective explanations added.

For the PM mass fractions I extended the explanation:
PMX is an air pollutant consisting of small particles with an
aerodynamic diameter less than or equal to a nominal X micrometer. The
relative humidity and temperature should be given as as scalar
coordinate variables using the standard names relative_humidity and
air_temperature.

Best regards,
Christiane

Pamment, JA (Alison) a ?crit :
> Dear Christiane,
>
> Thank you very much for your message. I had planned to contact you this week to ask about the current position, but your email makes everything clear. An update to the standard name table is needed soon, but the chemistry/aerosol names can be left out for now.
>
> I agree completely that consulting as widely as possible regarding these new names is the best way forward. Indeed, I think that your work is a shining example of how we should go about expanding CF for new user communities. I am happy to allow more time for consultation and discussion - I don't wish to set arbitrary time limits on the process, my concern is simply to see that progress is being made. I very much appreciate your keeping me informed of developments.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison
>
> ------
> Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
> NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 445858
> Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
> Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

Christiane Textor
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Universit? Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 102
4 place Jussieu
75252 Paris C?dex 05
France
Tel: ++33 1.44.27.21.82