⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] some concerns about the "ensemble axis" proposal

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:37:35 -0800

Hi Jennifer et. al.,

Thanks so much for introducing this fresh use case, Jennifer. In your
application -- ensemble outputs from a single model -- there is no need
to be playing with the multi-model elephant. So your use case bypasses
four of the six concerns that were raised in the message that started
this thread. And it simplifies one of the remaining. So for all of
those in these email thread who were nearing exhaustion (and that
includes me) *_this may indicate a consensus_* :-) -- an agreement on
large parts of the ensemble axis proposal, though not necessarily some
specific details that apply to multi-model ensembles. Will wait to see
what concerns Balaji may raise.

As above, two concerns that remain to be addressed are
3. The character of the ensemble axis
and
5. The barriers to interoperability that arise from instability and
snow-balling complexity in the CF spec

Regarding 3, the character of the ensemble axis, Jennifer's use case is
satisfied by using a single string variable (well actually a 2D char
array, but we can assume that added complexity is implicit). Although
this does muddy the waters by introducing a gridded axis concept in
which the notion of monotonic progression have been left behind, it is a
relatively straightforward extension. I'd argue that such an axis
should carry a something like a mandatory "axis" attribute, ('axis =
"ensemble"' or 'axis_type="enumerated"' or whatever), that would make it
unambiguous for both humans and machines to understand the
interpretation of the file. Some of the most fragile aspects of CF
are in the obscure (and growing) set of inferences that applications
must make to determine how the parts hang together.

It was in the discussion of how to extend Jennifer's straightforward
concept (an ensemble axis) into a fusion of institution, source,
experiment_id, etc. that the sense of cramming multi-model concepts into
CF went into high gear. There is a long thread of emails proposing and
debating aspects of this. How about if this specific topic were placed
into the wiki framework -- "How to handle the metadata of a multi-model
ensemble in CF" -- and we see if we can come up with a clean consensus
solution? Maybe part the solution will prove not to belong in the files
themselves, but in some external metadata associating the ensemble members.

Regarding 5 -- the barriers to interoperability from instability: we
have discussions that go back several years on the subject of "CF
conformance levels". These concepts may provide an answer for us here.
We are just starting to achieve new levels of interoperability as
applications like the ESRI ArcGIS products learn how to read (a simple
subset of) CF 4-dimensional files. My concern is that we don't torpedo
that progress by creating a moving target that clients cannot hope to
keep up with. One approach to this is that we regard the ensemble and
forecast axes being proposed in CF through a conformance matrix in the
style that "GKS level 2b" was interpreted. For example, a global
attribute, "conventions_featurelist"
    'conventions = cf-2.0'
    'conventions_featurelist = "6d"
could indicate whether support for the extended axis features was
required by an application in order to interpret this file.

How does this help us? Well the on-the-ground reality of handling
ensemble and forecast datasets is that in most cases they will be
created by aggregation servers. It is a relatively straightforward
matter for an aggregation server to create both the 6d version of the
dataset *and *the collection (e.g. via THREDDS) of corresponding 4d
(probably native model output) datasets. Each view would be identified
by its conventions_featurelist attribute. It is a way to have our cake
and eat it, too -- provide high level functionality for high end
applications and retain intelligibility for low end applications.

    enuf said. (exhaustion factor ...) - Steve