⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names status report

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:28:22 -0000

Dear All

An update of the standard name table is planned to take place on Tuesday
20th February. Unless any objections are received the following names
will be added:

1. Standard names for altimeter data. Proposed by: Olivier Lauret.

Names to be added:
sea_surface_height_above_reference_ellipsoid; m
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_g
eoid; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_
geoid; m s-1

2. Names proposed by Beate Geyer and Alex Ruane in discussion thread
"new standard names 1-33".

Names to be added:
baseflow_amount; kg m-2
runoff_amount_excluding_baseflow; kg m-2 (amended to include "amount" at
Jonathan's suggestion)
surface_net_downward_radiative_flux_where_land; W m-2
volume_fraction_of_water_in_soil_at_critical_point; 1
normalized_difference_vegetation_index; 1
correction_for_model_negative_specific_humidity; 1;

All these names have been waiting a long time to be added to the table
and I would like to include them as soon as possible. Following the
update on 20th February I would like to move to the schedule of regular
updates that I have published previously on the mailing list. The plan
is to update the table every two months (January, March, May, July,
September, November) on the second Tuesday of the month. According to
this schedule the first of the regular updates will be due on Tuesday
8th March 2007.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 445858
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.