⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and a representation of probalistic forecasts

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:48:41 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

I would be more than happy to drop the idea of a standard name modifier
in this case and just introduce the standard name 'realization_weight'.
I had thought that if you were using ancillary_variables this meant you
had to use a standard name modifier - but I think I misread CF1.0 sec
3.4.

This is clearly a special handling of a fifth dimension: how do we
expect applications that are CF1.0 compliant to support the addition of
the standard names 'realization' and 'realization_weight'? Should they
treat them as special standard names (as latitude, longitude and
vertical coordinate types are in spatially referencing the data)? In
this case this dimension is special in that it allows you to calculate
statistics across the realizations. (In that sense 'realization_weight'
is a little bit like a cell measure - though I'm not sure we'd want to
go this way 'realization' doesn't really have a scale/units).

You pointed out that I had not standardised the way in which you might
distinguish different realization_weights present in the same file. I
think there are two parts to this problem.

1) identifying which realization_weights can be used with which
variables (temperature, pressure, or both) - this is dealt with through
the ancillary_variable references of 'temperature', 'pressure' etc.
2) provenance information on how the realization_weights have been
derived.

The two are not entirely independent - you may take the philosophical
position that to form a pdf of forecast temperature (point 1) you need
to base this on realization_weights derived on a uniform prior in
forecast temperature (point 2). But for purpose of representation I
think you can treat them as being separate. I think I'd not try and
standardise point 2 yet - but use 'source' to describe the provenance in
the level of detail needed to make sense to a human user (this is all
reminiscent of the problems representing ensemble provenance).

I think given this change has larger implications than just the addition
of a couple of standard names it is probably a candidate for
'provisional' status? And a period of testing?

Jamie