⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question about Coordinate System

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:56:57 +0000

Hi Shawn,

I agree that this does appear to be a limitation of the current CF
specification. However, I have only been tracking this mailing list for
a few months, so I'm not in a position to say if this is a topic that
has previously come up for discussion. I'd be very surprised if it has
not surfaced before.

Based on a quick review of the CF 1.0 spec - and Appendix F in
particular - there may be a case for adding a new attribute called
'geodetic_datum' to the list of grid mapping attributes described in
Table F.1. The value of this attribute would then be a geodetic datum
identifier from a recognised dictionary or vocabulary, e.g. the widely-
adopted geodetic parameters database maintained by the European
Petroleum Survey Group (http://www.epsg.org/).

But there are side issues that would need to be discussed and agreed.
For example, should the value of this proposed new attribute be the
numeric identifier assigned by the dictionary maintainer (e.g. 6326 for
WGS 84), the well-known text identifier (e.g. "World Geodetic System
1984"), or either or both of these? The decision will be influenced by
the conflicting requirements for machine readability vs human
readability (i.e. how many people can interpret EPSG geodetic codes!?).

Also, there is the added complication of different types of datum, e.g.
vertical datum, engineering datum, and so on. While these are less
germane to the climate community, they may still need to be considered
if we want to arrive at a holistic solution. The work on modelling
coordinate reference systems being carried out under the aegis of ISO
TC211 and OGC (e.g. GML) should be able to inform this process.

Regards,

Phil
--
Phil Bentley PhD  CR Data Applications Manager
Met Office  Hadley Centre for Climate Change