⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-metadata Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:31:02 +0000

Dear all,

I think there are at least two types of min/max attributes that one
could associate with a particular variable in a netCDF file:

1) The *actual* min and max of the variable's values in that
particular file (not including missing values). Perhaps stored as
data_min and data_max? Useful for both visualisation and data mining
(as Bryan pointed out).

2) If the netCDF file is part of a larger dataset (e.g. it represents
one timestep in a forecast sequence) it would be useful to store a
"reasonable" (or actual, if possible) min and max for the *whole
dataset* (taking into account the measurement method used,
geographical region etc). Perhaps stored as dataset_min and
dataset_max?

The latter pair of attributes would really help when creating
visualisations of timeseries across multiple netCDF files and could be
a "soft" range: i.e. it could be possible for some data to lie outside
this range (for a forecast dataset it would be impossible to define
the whole dataset's min and max in advance unless it were defined to
be much wider than is really useful for visualisation). I think that
all viz tools should highlight data that are "out of range": it seems
to me to be a serious flaw to do otherwise as it hides potentially
vital data.

If a file specifies neither pair of attributes, perhaps there could be
a community dictionary of suggested ranges per standard name, but this
is flawed for reasons discussed on this thread. Might be better than
nothing though.

Regards, Jon