⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF provisional standards

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:55:21 +0000

Dear all

I just made the point below in the thread about 2D projection coordinates.
I should not have put it there, because it complicates the threads! Sorry.

That thread (on curvilinear Cartesian coordinates) this is an instance of how
we have generally developed conventions by discussion. It is not obvious to me
that trial implementations would help. We have written examples of both
schemes, and as humans we have no difficulty in interpreting them. Hence
programs could be written to interpret them. The problem is sufficiently
simple it seems unlikely we have made a fundamental error. As you say [Brian]
opinions about which is "easier" depend partly on taste, rather than more
objective criteria.

I'm raising this example because I would like to get a better picture of
what would be done during provisional status and the benefits it would bring.
I can see advantages in having a period of reflection, and the necessity for
example files, but I'm less clear about what "testing" is needed.

Cheers

Jonathan