⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_names for variables concerning sea surface?waves

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:56:53 +0000

Dear Richard

> So maybe a solution would be a formulation like
> "sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_X", where X gives the method, eg.
> Tm2="sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_second
> frequency_moment"
> Tm1="sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first
> frequency_moment"
> Tm-1="sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_inverse_frequency_moment"

This looks good to me. I'd vote for those, and your formulae to define them,
along with those for the zero-upcrossing period and the significant height,
will be useful.

> The "ideal" default for the above quantities would be 0
> to infinity, but the actual range used could be specified in this way.
Yes. The default should presumably be stated in the definitions.

> to fully describe what is meant by "swell" and "wind wave"
> variables, there really should be some reference to the formulation used
> to distinguish them.
I suppose that needs to be done, with perhaps more precise names, when someone
raises a need to distinguish them.

> Sometimes a mean frequency (= 1/Tm1) is used, but period variables seem
> to be a bit more user friendly.
OK. So long as the definition of the moment is clear. Since there is an
integration, I presume the choice of variable of integration makes a
difference.

Cheers

Jonathan