⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] curvilinear cartesian coordinates case

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:28:33 +0000

Dear Bert

> * I would prefer if lat and lon are not necessary for some CF-minor
> compliance.
As you and John have recognised, this makes the file less useful to anyone
else. There's nothing to stop you writing non-compliant files for your own
use or use within a project, obviously.

> * I would prefer an extension of the "grid mappings and projections" with
> the attribute "mapped_coordinates" for models using curvilinear cartesian
> coordinates.
I think it is fine to have auxiliary coordinates of x y lat lon all at the
same time, as in your example. You say that
"What is lacking in this example is some clue that x and y are the
coordinates in the Lambert projection."
but that should be clear from their standard names of projection_x_coordinate
and projection_y_coordinate, shouldn't it?

> * I would like to learn that missing_values are allowed for auxiliary
> coordinates.
That is an interesting question and I think you are right that we have not
discussed it in the standard. I think we should allow it. Missing data is
not allowed for 1D coord variables as they have to be usable for subsetting
and ordering the axis.

Cheers

Jonathan