⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Richard Gorman <r.gorman>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:49:07 +1300

Dear Jonathon,

This was to interpolate fields onto a lat/lon grid for input to a wave
model. The interpolation subroutine was written to expect inputs in the
form of 2D arrays of latitude, longitude and the input field, with
indices in (x,y) order. So I wanted to identify which were the "x-like"
and "y-like" dimensions in the original file.

In this case, I suspect it would still work if the "x" and "y" indices
are transposed, so as long as we can identify the two dimensions which
are horizontal. But there could be cases where the parity flip would
matter, e.g. where axial quantities such as vorticity are involved. So I
think it is useful to allow the axis = X and Y attribute for coordinate
variables that are a continuous transformation from cartesian
coordinates or lat/lon coordinates (without a parity inversion).

Regards,
Richard