⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] species as species in chemical and aerosol names - "mercury"

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:31:59 -0800

Hi Roy,

You've raised a question below that seems to merit further
conversation. Has there been a systematic discussion of the trade-offs
regarding name length? While long names may add clarity in many cases
for purposes of data discovery and for simple interactions with the
data, they are a nuisance impediment to clarity when one starts to
perform analysis on the data. For example, even a simple ratio of two
variables becomes a confusing jumble of characters if the combined
expression is 800 characters long. Very long names can make it
difficult for a human to scan a long list of names, too.

You mention the use of a 50-byte-max abbreviation/alias. Is such an
abbreviation required whenever the variable name length exceeds some
threshold? If not, then should it be required? (In the case of a CF
file, this discussion may be framed a little differently. As long as
the 400-character name is the "standard_name", then an abbreviation
becomes implicit as the name of the variable, itself. Maybe some
good-practice style guidelines are in order ...)

    - Steve