⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aerosol water

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:48:48 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

> OK, I see there could be a distinction between in_air and in_cloudy_air.

and in_clouds or in_snow etc...

> Do you need the "ambient"?
I think I do need the ambient, because it could also be given at a
certain rel. hum.

>You draw a distinction with "dry aerosol", > but you wouldn't find
"dry >aerosol" in air.

Yes I would: in the model world.

> Doesn't "dry aerosol" mean you have
> collected and dried it, and that the water mass fraction is zero?

This is the meaning in the real world.

> If aerosol particles are in cloud water or in precipitation, are they
still "ambient" aerosol? Do they still have a meaningful mass fraction
of water?

This distinction would not make sense anymore. It could be dry or
ambient aerosol in air, or aerosol at a certain rel. humidity in air. Or
they could be contained another phase like clouds or precip, but not at
the same time in air.

Cheers,

Christiane

Jonathan Gregory a ?crit :
> Dear Christiane

>>>isn't an aerosol by definition in air?
>>
>>Aerosol particles can be within hydrometeors (cloud, precip, ice...), so
>>I would like to keep the in_air extension.
>

> OK, I see there could be a distinction between in_air and in_cloudy_air.
>
> Do you need the "ambient"? You draw a distinction with "dry aerosol", but you
> wouldn't find "dry aerosol" in air. Doesn't "dry aerosol" mean you have
> collected and dried it, and that the water mass fraction is zero?
>
> If aerosol particles are in cloud water or in precipitation, are they still
> "ambient" aerosol? Do they still have a meaningful mass fraction of water?
>
> Thanks for continuing the discussion. Cheers

Christiane Textor
GMES France Atmosph?re - GEMS France
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Universit? Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 102
4 place Jussieu
75252 Paris C?dex 05
France
Tel: ++33 1.44.27.21.82