⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Different variables with same standard name

From: Chris Webster <cjw>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:48:08 -0600

> From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
> Subject: [CF-metadata] Different variables with same standard name
>
> Dear Egil
>

>> Is it possible to have a CF-compliant netCDF-file with the same
>> standard_name for several variables? I can not see that this is
>> explicitly prohibited in the CF standard, but all the examples are
>> conforming to a one-to-one relationship rule for names vs. standard_names.
>>

> Yes, it is possible. Presumably they would be distinguished by some
> other metadata (time coordinates, cell_methods, etc.).

I can't remember whether I've asked this before, but will CF work on a
method to mark a variable as the "reference" or "best" of redundant
measurements? It seems important/common enough to not have everyone
doing it their own way...

I have migrated the 'coordinate' attribute the global level, so software
can locate the position variables easily. And have started a second one
for the wind field:

// global attributes:
                :coordinates = "LONC LATC GGALT Time" ;
                :wind_field = "WSC WDC WIC" ;