⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Name Status Update

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:18:26 +0100

Hi All,

There are currently 9 open discussion threads relating to standard names. This is a report of current progress on each of them. Please note that during the week Monday 23rd - Friday 27th October I will be working much reduced hours due to family commitments (I am employed on a term-time basis). I will resume my normal term-time working hours on Monday 30th October.

1. Standard names for altimeter data. Proposer: Olivier Lauret.

As previously stated, the following names have been agreed and will be added at the next update:
sea_surface_height_above_reference_ellipsoid; m
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_g
eoid; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_
geoid; m s-1

2. Names proposed by Beate Geyer and Alex Ruane in discussion thread
"new standard names 1-33".

Many of these proposals have already been agreed and were included in the revision of the table on 26th September. A separate response to the outstanding proposals has been posted to the list.

There are five linked threads on the subject of aerosols and chemistry:
3. Standard names for aerosols and chemistry. Proposer: Christiane
Textor.
4. Use of standard names and coordinate variables (relevant to the
aerosol discussion). Initiated by: Bryan Lawrence.
5. Cell metrics. Initiated by: Jonathan Gregory.
6. Aerosol water. Initiated by: Jonathan Gregory.
7. Species as species in chemical and aerosol names. Initiated by: Jonathan Gregory.

There is clearly still plenty of discussion taking place around these topics and, as Christiane has already said, it is too early to close the threads. Many thanks to Christiane for producing version 4 (on 10th October) of her table at:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Proposed_names_for_TF_HTAP
I will review progress again in two weeks (6th November).

8. CF and multi-forecast system ensemble data. Proposer: Francisco Doblas-Reyes.
Thank you to Francisco, Steve Hankin, Jonathan Gregory and Karl Taylor for the discussion so far. I need to re-read this thread in more detail before responding.

9. OLR, soil moisture content and D20. Proposer: Francisco Doblas-Reyes.
Names to cope with soil moisture content and the depth of the 20C isotherm already exist. Thank you to Burkhardt Rockel and Jonathan Gregory for answering those points. I will respond separately to the OLR proposal.

Best wishes,
Alison