⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re: units in cf standard names

From: Steve Emmerson <steve>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:41:15 -0600

Hi,

[For what it's worth, I'm the developer of the UDUNITS package.]

I agree with Jonathan and Roy: units should not have
additional semantics attached to them. This is consonant
with recommendations by ISO and NIST (see section 7.4 of
<http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html>, for example).

If the concern is about preventing one from meaninglessly adding
dimensionless quantities together (e.g., molality and plane angle),
then this is more properly addressed in a package dealing with physical
quantities rather than in a package dealing with units of physical
quantities.

Just my two cents worth (although I have thought about this a lot).

Regards,
Steve Emmerson