⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and a representation of probalistic forecasts

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:52:27 +0100

Hi All,

In the update of the standard name table that took place on the 26th
September 2006 the following name was added:
realization; 1; realization is used to label a dimension that can be
thought of as a statistical sample, e.g., labelling members of a model
ensemble.

This resulted from a proposal by Jamie Kettleborough (originally for the
name "sample" although "realization" was later substituted).

Jamie also requested a new standard name modifier which we would now
like to call "realization_weight" with units of "1". Please can this be
added to the list of modifiers in Appendix C of the CF 1.0 doc?

Alison

On 03 May 2006 10:30 Jamie Kettleborough wrote:

> Hello,
>
> there are a couple of projects (Hadley Centre QUMP project and
> climateprediction.net) that will be distributing
> probabilistic forecasts of climate change based on ensembles of model
> runs. One way of representing these
> results will be a set of model runs and a set of weights that should
be
> applied to each model run.
> I think this can be accommodated straight forwardly, and reasonably
> generally, in the CF standard
> using 'ancillary_variables' and the addition of
>
> 1) New standard name 'sample' used to label a dimension that can be
> thought
> of as a statistical sample
(e.g.
> ensemble)
>
> 2) New standard name modifier 'sample_weight' used to label variables
that
> are acting
> as weights for other
quantities