⇐ ⇒

Fwd: [CF-metadata] units in cf standard names

From: Keith Dixon <Keith.Dixon>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:49:38 -0400

Jonathan et al.,

   An aside, perhaps...

   I have been told by a physical oceanographer that "PSU" is no longer
accepted as a valid unit by most in physical oceanography circles. The
argument being that, because salinity is measured as "grams per grams",
many oceanographers prefer a "unitless" description: "35" rather than
"35 PSU" or "35?".

   The anti-PSU comment was part of the feedback I got when asking folks
around here to do QC checks of our CMORized model output for IPCC AR4. I
can not judge if it is truly representative (i.e., the physical
oceanographer that sent me the strong anti-PSU comment may be an
outlier). Is the physical oceanography community represented on this
email list? If so, perhaps they could help clear up the matter of
salinity units.

-Keith D.