⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] units in cf standard names

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:08:15 +0100

Hi Bryan,

I'm glad this issue has been raised. At the time of preparing the most recent update to the standard name table I had a brief offline discussion with Jonathan and Brian on the subject of udunits.

It emerged that there are already some units that have been identified as being useful for CF that are not currently part of udunits.
Jonathan wrote:
> sverdrup = 1e6 m3 s-1 (we can't use the usual abbrev Sv though as it
> already has another definition)
> PSU and psu = 1e-3 (practical salinity unit, effectively mass
> fraction)
There is also decibel (dB).

When I was updating the table it was decided to allow the units of dB for four names relating to sound pressure and sound intensity levels.

We discussed possible ways forward and one would be to define a udunits.dat file including extensions used for CF and link to this from the CF website. However, Brian expressed the view that a better way forward would be to ask Unidata to include the additions as part of the official udunits, and I agree with that. As units are so closely integrated with standard names I would be happy to pursue this.

I don't want to open the flood gates to huge numbers of requests for additional units, and I can't guarantee that we will be successful in having them included in udunits, but I think this would be a good opportunity to discuss whether there are other additions needed apart from those listed above.

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 445858
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.