⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for aerosols and chemistry

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:20:25 +0100

Dear Christiane

> Here is the opinion of an expert (Ian Hedgecock):
> >Yep,
> >no confusion that way!
> >cheers,
> >Ian
> Roy Lowry a ?crit :
> >Christiane/Jonatathan
> >
> >Would divalent_mercury just to confirm that the II refers to valency be
> >better?

Well, I hesitate to disagree with an expert, but I thought that valency meant
the potential to combine in a certain way, and is not the same as an actual
oxidation state. Aren't "atom" and "ion" the accurate description of the thing?
Elemental mercury can exist as Hg atoms, Hg2+ ions and no doubt in other forms.

Cheers

Jonathan