⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question and time and standard_name...

From: Manuel Fuentes <Manuel.Fuentes>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:06:35 +0100

Hi all,

ECMWF produces hindcasts as part of our operational system. These
hindcasts refer to a specific forecast run. For example, today's
forecast has associated a set of hindcasts. Tomorrow's forecast will
have a different set. So our hindcasts have 2 dates:
- the base date of the hindcast run (we call it DATE)
- the base date of the forecast they refer to (we call it REFDATE)

We have discovered that such naming convention was a mistake, because it
requires REFDATE to have the same treatment as DATE. We plan to migrate
to the following terms:
DATE=base date of the forecast they refer to
HINDCASTDATE=base date of the hindcast run

This way, HINDCASTDATE doesn't need to be treated as a DATE, it can just
be yet another attribute.

Hope this is clear and useful.
Manuel