⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question and time and standard_name...

From: CJ Beegle-Krause <Cj.Beegle-Krause>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 06:01:57 -0700

Hi John,

Defining terms should be sufficient; terminology is not consistent from
my experience. At some point people my want to extend the basic
terminology. Here is a start:

hindcast - re-creation of past fields using collected observations in
boundary conditions
nowcast - short time-period prediction of near-real-time fields using
real-time data
forecast - prediction of future fields beyond influence of real-time data

-CJ

John Caron wrote:

> Hi CJ:
>
> At the moment, the nj22 library needs to identify the
> forecast_reference_time and time coordinates. At the higher "Grid
> Datatype" layer, we calculate "forecast offsets" (time - reference),
> in which case hindcasts have negetive offsets, nowcasts have offset 0,
> and forecasts have positive offsets. In this sense, the only thing we
> really need from CF metadata is forecast_reference_time and time. Do
> you think it would be sufficient to annotate the spec to clarify the
> meaning of hindcast, nowcast and forecast times?
>
> CJ Beegle-Krause wrote:
>
>> There is a need to distinguish whole or parts of model runs, for
>> example hindcast, nowcast and forecast could be sections of the same
>> individual model run. It would also be good to agree on what each of
>> those terms could mean.
>>
>> John Caron wrote:
>>
>>> another one is "forecast_reference_time", the base time a model run
>>> was made from.

>> --
>> CJ Beegle-Krause, Ph.D.
>> NOAA/NOS/ORR/Hazmat