⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Names Status Update

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:38:34 +0100

There are currently four open discussion threads for standard names.
This is a report of current progress on each of them.

1. Standard names for altimeter data. Proposer: Olivier Lauret.

After discussion on the mailing list the following standard names have
been agreed and will be added at the next update:
sea_surface_height_above_reference_ellipsoid; m
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity; m s-1
surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_g
eoid; m s-1
surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_
geoid; m s-1

2. Names proposed by Beate Geyer and Alex Ruane in discussion thread
"new standard names 1-33".

Names from proposals numbered 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 (turbulence names), 8, 10
(longwave/shortwave names), 11, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26 and
27 were included in the table update of 26th September 2006.

Additional numbered proposals that have now been agreed and will be
included in the next update are:
(2) atmosphere_downward_eastward_stress_due_to_diffusion; Pa
atmosphere_downward_northward_stress_due_to_diffusion; Pa
(9) baseflow_amount; kg m-2
runoff_excluding_baseflow; kg m-2
(25) surface_net_downward_radiative_flux_where_land; W m-2

Under discussion are proposals 5, 7 (moistening names), 10 (deep/shallow
convection and moistening names), 12, 16, 17, 18 and 19. Proposals
28-33 are new. These open issues will be discussed in a separate email.

3. Standard names for aerosols and chemistry. Proposer: Christiane
Textor.
4. Use of standard names and coordinate variables (relevant to the
aerosol discussion). Initiated by: Bryan Lawrence.

These two threads are linked. Thank you to Christiane, Jonathan, Roy
and Bryan for the careful discussion so far. I note that Christiane has
produced version 2 of her table at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Proposed_names_for
_TF_HTAP
which takes into account the comments already received from Roy and
Jonathan.

Regarding the use of coordinate variables, I strongly agree with Bryan's
and Jonathan's view on how to decide whether something should be treated
as a coordinate variable or be included as part of a standard name.
Thank you to Bryan for making specific suggestions on how we should
treat the current proposals.

I would like to leave these threads open a little longer to give the
opportunity for further discussion. If no further comments are received
on the aerosols and chemistry proposals by 18th October (i.e. in two
weeks time) I will draw together the discussion so far with a view to
finalising what will go into the standard name table.

Best wishes to all,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 445858
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.