⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard name: air_gap

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 08:34:17 -0400

Hi.

In addition to Andrew Saulter's excellent points, 'air_gap' is far too
generic. 'Air gap' is a term in computer security, plumbing, and
electrical motors, to name only a few of the many vocabularies in which
it is found. Please add more specific detail about the domain to the name.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 7/25/19 4:42 AM, Saulter, Andrew wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> I?d agree that air_gap would be a very useful parameter to include.
> Following up on Andrew Barna?s question, I did wonder if it is
> possible to make this somewhat more generic (e.g. air_gap is also a
> standard term in oil platform design and could, potentially, be used
> across a wider set of wave overtopping metrics).
>
> If that makes sense, it might also be worth adding a standard name for
> ?freeboard?? To my understanding the difference is that freeboard
> works with an idealised still water level, whereas air gap is an
> instantaneous parameter (i.e. associated with the maximum wave crest
> height)?
>
> In both cases there may be a need for some form of auxiliary
> coordinate specifying the vertical datum that is being used?
>
> Sorry ? only questions at this point, not solutions. As with Andrew
> this is on the edge of my expertise?
>
> Regards
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Saulter
> Surge, Waves and Metocean Projects Manager
> Met Office? FitzRoy Road? Exeter? Devon EX1 3PB
> Tel: +44 (0)330 1350202? Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
> andrew.saulter at metoffice.gov.uk
> <mailto:andrew.saulter at metoffice.gov.uk> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk
> <http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /