⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard name: air_gap

From: Saulter, Andrew <andrew.saulter>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 08:42:34 +0000

Hi Aaron,

I?d agree that air_gap would be a very useful parameter to include. Following up on Andrew Barna?s question, I did wonder if it is possible to make this somewhat more generic (e.g. air_gap is also a standard term in oil platform design and could, potentially, be used across a wider set of wave overtopping metrics).

If that makes sense, it might also be worth adding a standard name for ?freeboard?? To my understanding the difference is that freeboard works with an idealised still water level, whereas air gap is an instantaneous parameter (i.e. associated with the maximum wave crest height)?

In both cases there may be a need for some form of auxiliary coordinate specifying the vertical datum that is being used?

Sorry ? only questions at this point, not solutions. As with Andrew this is on the edge of my expertise?

Regards
Andy

Andy Saulter
Surge, Waves and Metocean Projects Manager
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB
Tel: +44 (0)330 1350202 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
andrew.saulter at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:andrew.saulter at metoffice.gov.uk> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>