⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard_name of quality_flag for corresponding quality control variables

From: Kehoe, Kenneth E. <kkehoe>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 16:04:30 +0000

Hi Martin,

I see status encompassing multiple metadata pieces of information. For
example it could be a state of the instrument as it cycles through a
pre-programed routine (Look at calibration target, look at sky, look at
ground, look at second calibration target, repeat...). Or the sources of
the inputs for a model where the availability or some other reason could
require making a decision on what source(s) to use. For provenance this
source information is important to report on a time step basis. Or the
status could be a data providers method to provide uncertainty
information (I see this as incorrect but some people do see it this
way). Each of these are important metadata but the method of use is
different than a strictly quality variable. A quality variable provides
information indicating if the data should be used or possibly could be
used in a weighted mean method to favor high quality data over low
quality data. The way the metadata is used is different depending on the
metadata type. A state of the instrument would be used for sub-setting
calibration vs. data. There is no ambiguity in this as data from a
calibration target is not used in a weather research analysis. But
quality is more subjective and is decided by the data user. If the
quality variable has 20 different quality tests the user would need to
decided if all 20 test results should be used or only a subset. Also,
the code for applying the quality is different than the state of the
instrument view (in my example above).

It is possible to have a quality test result from the state of the
instrument, but not the other way around (typically). So I need a way to
distinguish the two for automated or semi-automated tools. Hence my
point of quality_flag essentially being a subset of status_flag

Ken

--
   e-mail: kkehoe at ou.edu | Office: 303-497-4754