⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Renaming of GitHub repositories

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 11:08:50 +0000

Hi David,

I only know what I have read in the GitHub help pages, but I understand them to mean that you have to create the repository yourself. I?m referring to the page I mentioned before ? the bit on ?User and Organization Pages sites?. It says:
?To create an Organization Pages site, name the repository using the naming scheme <orgname>.github.io?
and then once it?s built
?An Organization Pages site is available at http(s)://<orgname>.github.io?.

My impression is that if you create the repository with the correct name, ending in github.io, then GitHub automatically builds it (and rebuilds it following a merge or a push to the repo) and also automatically publishes it with the URL the same as the repository name. Currently cfconventions.org (owned by STFC) is set to redirect to http(s)://cf-convention.github.io, so if it does prove possible to rename the repository we?d also have to update where the domain name points to.

The CF GitHub organisation was originally set up by Matthew Harris and Jeff Painter at PCMDI who transferred the website contents from the old web server. Perhaps they would be able to advise about the repository naming.

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk