⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Renaming of GitHub repositories

From: Guilherme Castelão <castelao>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 09:24:37 -0700

Hi,

Yes, that's almost correct, and the only possible confusion was my own
fault from my previous email to David.

The 'git remote -v' gives which remote repositories we are linked to. Since
David will rename cf-conventions to conventions, we need to update our
local repository (personal computer) to look for the remote in the right
place.

So first we check what we have with the 'git remote -v', and we should have:

git at github.com:cf-convention/cf-conventions.git
or
https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions.git

depending on the protocol that is used. The first one for SSH, and the
second one for HTTPS.

One possible outcome is:

origin git at github.com:cf-convention/cf-conventions.git (fetch)
origin git at github.com:cf-convention/cf-conventions.git (push)

which means that the official repository is linked using SSH and is named
(alias) origin. For this case, the update would be

git remote set-url origin git at github.com:cf-convention/conventions.git

if the protocol was HTTPS, it would be:

git remote set-url origin https://github.com/cf-convention/conventions.git

And one can check the changes by running again the 'git remote -v'.

On my case, since I forked the official repository and use SSH, I get:

origin git at github.com:castelao/cf-conventions.git (fetch)
origin git at github.com:castelao/cf-conventions.git (push)
upstream git at github.com:cf-convention/cf-conventions.git (fetch)
upstream git at github.com:cf-convention/cf-conventions.git (push)

which means that I would need to update not the upstream instead of origin.
Origin is pointing to my fork in my account area in github, which I don't
need to change. Thus for my case I would run

git remote set-url upstream git at github.com:cf-convention/conventions.git

and my origin could keep the same, but my local repository would know how
to find the upstream to keep my fork updated with the official repository.

I hope that it helps. Let me know the questions,
Gui