⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standards and Recommended Practices session at Fall AGU

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:36:13 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

Standards and codified recommended practices underpin many practical
aspects of the scientific endeavor. Developing and maintaining standards
and recommended practices requires the work, often unpaid, of many
people. The session ?Standards for the Benefit of Science and Society?
at the AGU Fall Meeting will highlight the practical aspects, including
sociological factors, involved in motivating, developing and adopting
standards and recommended practices. We solicit presentations describing
specific use cases and outcomes involving standardization efforts. We
are interested in both the successes and failures - we learn from both.
This link will take you directly to the form for submitting an abstract
to this session:

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/in/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=82482

Session Conveners:

     SiriJodha S. Khalsa, NSIDC/CIRES/Univ. Colorado, Boulder
     Jay Pearlman, FourBridges
     Ingo Simonis, OGC
     Charlie Zender, UC Irvine

IN043 - Standards for the Benefit of Science and Society
Session Abstract:
Standards can help to ensure the F.A.I.R.ness of data, reduce the
barriers to adoption of new technologies within local and regional
cultures, and help close the digital divide between less economically
developed countries and advanced societies. But the development de jure
standards takes time and effort, and adoption of the end product is not
guaranteed. The codification and promotion of community or recommended
practices (aka ?best practices?) is a less formal avenue for achieving
many of these same goals. This session consists of presentations
highlighting the practical aspects, including sociological factors,
involved in development and adoption of standards and best practices.
Presentations describing specific use cases and outcomes involving
standardization efforts are also being solicited.
--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(