⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Non temporal/spatial dimension question

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:11:55 -0600

Hi Mike,

The recommendation that non space/time dimensions be added to the left of
space/time dimensions was taken from the COARDS document, and is part of
CF's attempt to remain COARDS compliant. However, as you note, this
recommendation can't be followed if you wish to keep time as the unlimited
dimension. Several solutions come to mind. The one you mention is a
possibility. I'd be tempted though to use the order (time, wavelength,
latitude, longitude), since then wavelength is in the slot normally used by
the vertical level and applications that expect a level coordinate there
might be made to work with wavelength instead. Another possibility is to
not use wavelength as a coordinate and instead put that into the variable
name so that each wavelength (or range of wavelengths) is in a variable
with dimensions (time, latitude, longitude) which makes COARDS conforming
apps really happy. In the end I think it comes down to making sure that
the applications that need to read your data can handle the dimension
ordering you choose. My impression is that we're not yet at the stage
where there are lots of robust implementations of the full CF conventions,
so you still need to be concerned with dimension ordering.

Brian