⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name issues: spelling typo and invalid name referenced in conventions document

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 12:48:58 +0000

Dear Martin,

Thanks for these proposals.

1. I agree that there should be a standard name for ocean_double_sigma_coordinate just as there is for all the other parametric vertical coordinates listed in Appendix D of the conventions. As with similar standard names, it's definition should refer to Appendix D for a full explanation:

ocean_double_sigma_coordinate (Canonical units: 1)
'See Appendix D of the CF convention for information about parametric vertical coordinates.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

In CF 1.0 - 1.6, Appendix D had the title "Dimensionless Vertical Coordinates" and this was changed to "Parametric Vertical Coordinates" in CF 1.7. I will update the definitions of all the existing standard names that refer to Appendix D to use the new title - this will restore consistency with the conventions document. This change will affect the following standard names:
atmosphere_hybrid_height_coordinate
atmosphere_hybrid_sigma_pressure_coordinate
atmosphere_ln_pressure_coordinate
atmosphere_sigma_coordinate
atmosphere_sleve_coordinate
change_in_atmosphere_energy_content_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wrt_surface_pressure
change_in_energy_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wrt_surface_pressure
lagrangian_tendency_of_atmosphere_sigma_coordinate
ocean_s_coordinate
ocean_s_coordinate_g1
ocean_s_coordinate_g2
ocean_sigma_coordinate
ocean_sigma_z_coordinate
sea_water_sigma_t
sea_water_sigma_theta.

2. tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_turbulent_depostion -> tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_turbulent_deposition

Agreed! Thanks for spotting the error. This change is accepted and will be added in the May update.

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk