⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Parameter Ontology Project

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:08:02 +0100

Hi Folks,

On travel so entering the discussion late....

I think there is a slight misunderstanding about what I need. What I require is a label and a timestamp to represent each given state of the Standard Name list as a whole plus the ability to recreate the list as it was at any of these checkpoints. I do not need versioning of individual standard names, just timestamps of when they were last modified and access to the way they were before change.

Serving the list via the NDG Vocabulary server will give me all this. My idea would be to load the list as we have now, calling that version zero. Each time a batch of changes (new names or changes to existing names) are approved, I would add them to the back database end and this list version number would increment by one. Providing there is good communication between Alison and myself this should work in practice. It is down to the CF community whether they make any use of these labels, but they might well be found useful.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 09/22/06 8:50 AM >>>
Dear Lex

Quite so. The standard name table should and does accommodate the need for
various definitions of quantities, alternative, generic and specific. We need
to have names for the concepts people actually want to use. If different groups
use different concepts, that's fine so long as the definitions are clear.

Cheers