⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Putting the units in a CF standard name: area_fraction

From: Steven Emmerson <emmerson>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:37:58 -0700

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:54 PM Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <
martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't understand your comment. When I search for "fraction"
> in the NIST document I find it defined as being a ratio, which is
> inconsistent with the current CF usage. The CF standard name concept
> "area_fraction" is not what NIST or others understand as a "fraction". I'm
> suggesting a change to remove this inconsistency.

Unless we're talking past one another, I'll have to disagree. The NIST
unit for "mass fraction" is "1" -- even though it's a ratio. A fraction can
be represented many ways. "1:2", "1/2", and "0.5" all represent the same
fraction, for example.

Does the CF convention require a particular representation for a fraction?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson