⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Two [simple] questions

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:57:50 +0000

Hello Lars,

  1. Here you have two options for providing exactly equivalent information, and the choice is yours. I don't think there is any general reason to prefer one over the other. If you use the "amount", I believe you should have cell_methods "time: sum" and a time bounds variable. With "rate", on the other hand, you need cell_methods "time: mean", and time bounds variable. You need the time bounds variable in both cases: setting the units to "mm day-1" just specifies the unit of measure and doesn't tell the user that it is a representing the daily rainfall.
  2. I'd advise sticking to ASCII for the title. I recently wrote a "guide" setting out some rules used for variables in CMIP6: https://zenodo.org/record/2480853 .. I'd be interested in your comments on that. In CMIP6, as in CMIP5, we have tended not to include "daily" in the long names -- mainly because it is easier to use a fixed long name across multiple frequencies.

regards,
Martin