⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Parameter Ontology Project

From: Comber, Dr A.J. <ajc36>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:39:44 +0100

Hi Bryan / Jonathan

Actually Bryan's example was *not* that contrived.

This is a very common problem in environmental inventories - every time we measure the world we do it different ways (changes in policy, technological development, changes in scientific thinking, etc).

For instance, there are various definitions of 'forest' - see http://home.comcast.net/~gyde/DEFpaper.htm <http://home.comcast.net/~gyde/DEFpaper.htm> for some >500 definitions of this very familiar term. Which version of forest may or may not be acknowledged in, for example, climate models which take a 'land use/cover' parameter.

One of the important issues is that many of these versions of forest exist in parallel rather than one being sequentially replaced by another.

Best wishes, Lex Comber