⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Decibel units in CF standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 17:03:53 +0000

Dear Martin

Your points are good ones and have been raised before. More than once we have
talked about maintaining a CF version of the udunits definition to include dB
and sverdrup, or ask udunits to add them (if they're not there). dB is a dimen-
sionless unit, equivalent to 1. I suggest that dBZ should be changed to dB,
as I don't think we ought to have several of them. I believe that the default
reference levels are mostly conventional and stated in the definitions of the
standard name, as you say. They can be overridden by supplying a size-one or
scalar coordinate variable. You have previously suggested an xml table to
contain more information about the definition of standard names, haven't you?
It seems to me that an arrangement like that would be the right place to store
the default reference levels and scale factor in a machine-readable way.

----- Forwarded message from Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk> -----