⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] 'months since' and 'years since' time units

From: Ryan Abernathey <ryan.abernathey>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 15:22:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am that user, and I'm new to this mailing list. Thank you all for your
work on CF conventions. It's such a valuable effort!

I want to note that this was inspired by the proliferation of datasets in
the wild that use "month" as their units. For example, nearly all of the
IRI Data Library does this, in conjunction with a 3"60_day" calendar
(example:
https://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP-NCAR/.CDAS-1/.MONTHLY/.Diagnostic/.surface/.temp/
).

My impression from talking to data providers is that no one is using
"360_day" calendar and "months" as units, and then expecting "months" to be
interpreted as 365.242198781/12 days. They all expect it to be interpreted
as 30 days. While there are various workarounds that can be used at
different levels of the software stack, the best solution, IMHO, is to
explicitly allow in CF conventions what Jeff proposed: "months and years be
interpreted as calendar months and years for those calendars where they
have a fixed length". I don't think this will break existing applications.

Thanks,
Ryan