⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] 'months since' and 'years since' time units

From: Jeffrey Whitaker <whitaker.jeffrey>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:06:30 -0600

Hi: I'm a developer of the 'cftime' python package (
https://github.com/Unidata/cftime). A user submitted a pull request (
https://github.com/Unidata/cftime/pull/69) that implements support for a
30-day calendar month time unit for the '360_day' CF calendar. Although
using a 'month' time unit is a tricky proposition in general, for this
calendar it seems straightforward since every month has the same length.
However, in the discussion of the pull request it was pointed out that CF
expects that "the value of the units attribute is a string that can be
recognized by UNIDATA?s Udunits package", and that UDUNITS defines a month
as 365.242198781/12 days. My question is this - is it reasonable for our
python package to make an exception to this rule for the 360_day calendar?
More generally, can months and years be interpreted as calendar months and
years for those calendars where they have a fixed length, or will this
deviate from the existing CF conventions and break existing applications?

Regards, Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1