⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ice_sheet/land_ice confusion

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:44:53 -0700

Thanks, Sophie, for your quick response.? Given your clarification,
perhaps we might replace the description of ice_sheet, which currently
reads:

> ice_sheet: An area type of "ice sheet" indicates where ice sheets are
> present. It includes both grounded ice sheets resting over bedrock and
> ice shelves flowing over the ocean, but excludes ice-caps and glaciers
> (in contrast to land_ice, which includes all components).

with this description:

ice_sheet: An area type of "ice_sheet" indicates where the Greenland and
Antarctic ice sheets are present.? It includes both the grounded portion
of those ice sheets (i.e., the portion resting on bedrock either above
or below sea level) and the portion that is floating as ice shelves.? It
excludes all other ice on land (in contrast to land_ice, which includes,
for example, small mountain glaciers and in contrast to ice_on_land,
which is comprehensively inclusive of all types of ice on land).

Also I think it should be clarified whether "snow" is considered to be
"ice_on_land".? If not, I think the descriptive phrase "any other ice on
a land surface" should be modified to read "any other ice on a land
surface (except snow)".

Best regards,
Karl