⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ice_sheet/land_ice confusion

From: Nowicki, Sophie <sophie.nowicki>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 18:03:33 +0000

Hi Karl,

I am responding to your question about ice_sheet/land_ice (CF-metadata Digest, Message 2, Vol 186, Issue11), and deleted the other topics from the thread.

?ice_sheet would be the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets. It contains both the grounded_ice_sheet (part of the ice sheet flowing over bedrock, and you are technically right that an ice sheet is a combination of many many glaciers) and floating_ice_shelf (the part that only flows on water).

land_ice is much bigger as it includes the polar ice sheets, glaciers in non-polar regions (glaciers are considered small body of ice: for example in the Alps, or the US), and the small ice caps. The ice caps are also a large combinations of glaciers, but too small to be considered an ice sheets. For example the Svartissen Ice Cap in northern Norway.

For ISMIP6, we are interested in ice_sheet, but some climate models may also include glaciers and ice caps (which ISMIP6 does not care about). Hence the use of both ice_sheet and land_ice in the ISMIP6 protocol (and I cant recall if land_ice was already present in CMIP5, but I think that it was).

I don?t know the origin of ice_on_land.

Jonathan: please help me make my answers less confusing...

I hope that this helps,

Sophie

    Message: 2