⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New name: fugacity of CO2

From: James Orr <James.Orr>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 15:26:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Allison, Paul, Roy, et al.,

I would suggest to replace the 3rd sentence

"The partial pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure which it
alone would exert with unchanged temperature and number of moles per unit
volume."

with the following:

"The partial pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure that it
would exert if all other gaseous constituents were removed, assuming the volume,
the temperature, and its number of moles remain unchanged."

The description would then become as follows:

'The fugacity is the measured pressure (or partial pressure) of a real gas
corrected for the intermolecular forces of that gas, which allows that corrected
quantity to be treated like the pressure of an ideal gas in the ideal gas
equation PV = nRT. The partial pressure of a dissolved gas in sea water is the
partial pressure in air with which it would be in equilibrium. The partial
pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure that it would exert if
all other gaseous constituents were removed, assuming the volume, the
temperature, and its number of moles remain unchanged. The chemical formula for
carbon dioxide is CO2.'

In addition, is the last sentence useful given that it is common knowledge?

Thanks,

Jim