⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for aerosols and chemistry

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:15:24 +0200

Hello Roy,

Thank you very much for your comment! It is the only one I got so far
during the three weeks since submission. As you say a little more work
is needed and I would appreciate some more input (as my colleagues and I
did already quite a bit of work). I would very much appreciate more
comments on the proposed aerosol and chemistry names, especially as they
will be used in their current form within the HTAP model intercomparison
that is starting these days.

Concerning you comments:

What is wrong with surface_emission_flux?

The state of aerosols (liquid or dry) is dependent on their composition
and the ambient humidity. The proposed aerosol terms state clearly if
they relate to dry aerosol, or to which humidity they refer
(e.g. mass_fraction_of_pm10_aerosol_at_50_percent_relative_humidity_in_air
mass_fraction_ of_dust_dry_aerosol_in_air)

Do you have any suggestions for the mercury variables?

Best regards,
Christiane

Roy Lowry a ?crit :
> Hello Christine,
>
> My main comment is that your work is a first step taking CF into a new area. I therefore feel definitions are especially important.

Whilst there are some really good definitions in your list (e.g. NOy)
there are other areas where more

information would be extermely helpful The ones that hit me straight
away are mercury_0, mercury_2,

'surface_emission_mass_flux', the aerosol terms (does this include solid
particulates or just liquid phase?),

'pm10' and 'pm2p5', but there may be others.

--
Christiane Textor
GMES France Atmosph?re - GEMS France
Email: christiane.textor at aero.jussieu.fr