⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for aerosols and chemistry

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:56:33 +0100

Hello Christine,

My main comment is that your work is a first step taking CF into a new area. I therefore feel definitions are especially important. Whilst there are some really good definitions in your list (e.g. NOy) there are other areas where more information would be extermely helpful The ones that hit me straight away are mercury_0, mercury_2, 'surface_emission_mass_flux', the aerosol terms (does this include solid particulates or just liquid phase?), 'pm10' and 'pm2p5', but there may be others.

A little more work on this area would I think greatly enhance a good piece of work.

Cheers, Roy

>>> Christiane Textor <christiane.textor at aero.jussieu.fr> 08/18/06 5:53 PM >>>
Dear all,

I would like to propose you new_standard names for aerosols and chemical
variables. These names will be used in the model intercomparisons in the
framework of the Task Force on Hemispheric Transport of Air Pollution
(http://www.htap.org/, http://aqm.jrc.it/HTAP/) and the European
Integrated Project GEMS (http://www.ecmwf.int/research/EU_projects/GEMS/).

The proposed names have been extensively discussed by a 'virtual
workgroup' activity through a wiki page
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Air_Quality/Chemistry_Naming_Conventions
with the aid of some CF experts to whom we are very grateful for their
support.

Many other people who contributed to discussion:
Olivier Boucher, Frank Dentener, Rudy Husar, Jonathan Gregory,
KyleHalliday, BryanLawrence, Vincent-Henri Peuch, Sebastian Rast, Martin
Schultz, Michael Schulz, Ranjeet Sokhi, David Stevenson, Karl Taylor,
Christiane Textor, Peter van Velthoven.

Please find attached a file with the proposed standard names.
More information on how these names are constructed can be found at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Future_Atmospheric_Chemistry_and_Aerosol_Terms

I am looking forward to your comments.

Best regards,
Christiane Textor