⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Bad reference to example in CF 6.1 "Labels"

From: Ethan Davis <edavis>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:30:12 -0600

Hi all,

The last sentence at the end of the first paragraph in Section 6.1 "Labels"
[1] says:

Example H.1, "Point data" illustrates another application for labels.

However, that example doesn't have any labels. Section 6.1 was rewritten
when the DSG chapter was added. Looking at the last draft Word Doc file [2]
I found for the DSG chapter, I suspect it should instead say something like

Example 6.1 "Northward heat transport in Atlantic Ocean" illustrates
another application for labels.

or with a bit more context:

There are several other uses for labels in CF, for instance, example 6.1
"Northward heat transport in Atlantic Ocean" shows the use of labels to
indicate geographic regions.

Let me know if anyone has a different interpretation or solution, or
remembers more details from the DSG discussion around this? I'm not seeing
anything on a quick search through Trac #37.

Also, there is currently no Example 6.1. Section 6 has an example 6.2 and
6.3, but no 6.1. Looks like an error catching all the changes in the DSG
Word Doc. The draft DSG chapter says (very bottom)

Delete Example 6.1 (there are plenty of such examples in section 9).
Renumber Example 6.2 as 6.1 and 6.3 as 6.2.

Anyway, couldn't get to Trac, so sending to email list. I will also have a
GitHub PR up shortly that includes an update to the "other use of labels"
sentence and updates the example numbers in Section 6.

Cheers,

Ethan

[1] http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/cf-conventions.html#labels

[2] https://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/attachment/ticket/37/CFch9-may4.docx